Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  GSM-Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  Reply to alphanumeric OA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reply to alphanumeric OA  (Read 72 times)
gabor

« on: August 04, 2007, 01:34:08 UTC »

Hi,

I have greped this forum relating use of alphanumeric originating address in GSM MT SM scenario - e.g. ESME (SMPP Application) sends SM with Originating Address: "hello".

Some posts say that alphanumeric OA (or source address) is applicable but the reply to such an address will not work. The posts what I have found do not distinguish between local and foreign users.

I understand that reply can not work to an alphanumeric address if MT SM is received by a foreign user (reply SM is routed to different SMS-C).

But I do not understand why a local user can not reply to an alphanumeric address if the SMS-C can route the SM to the appropriate ESME (SMPP application).

Please correct me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 23:25:22 UTC by gabor » Logged
parasa

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:26:33 UTC »

What you are telling is absolutely correct, but does your mobile allow you to send a message to 'Aphanumeric' destination address Huh

Thanks & regards,

Parasa kiran
India
gabor

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:02 UTC »

It can happen that a particular mobile subset does not allow a feature supported by the protocol itself.

Do you mean that use of alphanumeric SME destination address in a MO_SM is not supported by SMS Point-to-Point Protocol (GSM 03.40)?

If yes, can you give me a link where that restriction is defined?

Thank you in advance!
parasa

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 12:18:15 UTC »

Routing to destination ESME is property of SMSC. That comes under client-server architecture and routing. Maintaining routing information against alphanumeric-address is not a big deal in SMSC.

But does GSM network allow to send a message to alphanumeric address.. I doubt.

Though in MO SMS the destination address is packed in the payload and has no relevance in routing till it reaches SMSC. But does phone allow some one to send a message to alphanumeric number ?

Thanks & regards,

Parasa kiran
India
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length