Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  Protocols
| |-+  SMPP-V5-Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  how does SMPP fit in the SMS architecture
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how does SMPP fit in the SMS architecture  (Read 1218 times)
sms_guy

« on: May 25, 2007, 18:29:13 UTC »

Hello,

I am a noob and am trying to understand the SMS archatecture.
I am not sure hwo does SMPP fit in the SMS world.
Is SMPP just a layer 4 (transport protocol) which sets up a session between an ESME and a SMSC and the regular SMS PDU (as defined by 23.040) is transmitted between the, the format of the SMS being the same which is received by the SMS client.

or is the format of the SMS between the ESME and SMSC & the SMSC and the MS different. with the format of the PDU between SMSC and MS being defined by 23.040 and a different format between SMSC and the ESME?

i was trying to figure out where SMPP fit and came across this article
http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/eac/knowledgebaseAnswer/0,295199,sid63_gci984255,00.html

which states "The SMS Forum has recently released an XML variant of SMPP called Mobile Messaging Access Protocol (MMAP). It essentially provides a mechanism to package the SMPP commands as SOAP messages and send them over SMS."

now i am confused how can SMPP be sent over SMS? i thought SMS is sent using SMPP between the ESME and the SMSC
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 01:51:35 UTC »

read the introduction of SMPP V5.0 and look at the diagram that depicts SMPP in the context of the mobile network

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

sms_guy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 23:44:50 UTC »

thanks for the link,

i have gone through the introduction and i have come to the conclusion that SMPP is only used
between the ESME and the SMSC (from picture 1)
it sits on top of TCP/IP

Is MMAP used over the air, hence it uses SMS as a carrier?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length