Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  GSM-Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  SMS & Handover
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMS & Handover  (Read 579 times)
GenghisKhan

« on: December 19, 2006, 08:59:08 UTC »

Hi all!
I've reviewed about handover problem & think about a question:
How can handover process affect SMS sending?

Hope I could receive the answers about that prob,
Thanks all!
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:13:13 UTC »

you need to elaborate more on this.. by handover what do you mean?

if you mean, network to network handover, performed mostly by US networks and environments that co-deploy multiple non-GSM cellular technologies, then all handover ever does to SMS sending is make the sender think that his registered GSM message is delivered  as soon as it gets handed over to the other network. This is because the origin SMSC will deem the message delivered as soon s it gets delivered to the next hop.

There is also the unfortunate unreliability aspect that gets introduced to this equation with some of the inter-carrier providers and indeed carriers occasionally losing messages.. but thats just bad software and setup.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

GenghisKhan

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:59:23 UTC »

Thanks Supporters!

I have an example:
When people sitting in a car, chatting by mobile fone & move with a high speed between cells -> MSC has deploy Handover technique, if this phenomenon is a regular occurrence -> MSC may be overload.
Instead of chatting by mobile, I send a sms when move with high speed, do I have the same problem. Can SMSC solve this problem with a new software to support handover for sms...

Thanks!
RussCrush

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:22:02 UTC »

Since each BSC has multiple cells, and SMS can be sent at great speed (Ya know, light and all), I am not sure that an SMS being delivered during a handoff between cells, or even between BSCs would constitute a problem.

Between networks....Well, the timing would have to be exact in order to get the SMS at the BSC just after (within milliseconds) the mobile was handed off to another network. It just might fail. Unlikely, though.

Bear in mind that the BSC has to process a number of messages during an Intra-Network handoff, and even more when dealing with an Inter-System handoff. Messages like (This is not my area, so I might miss one or two):

ReqMeas - Get a signal measurement from adjacent cells for the mobile
PrepHandoff - Instructs adjacent BSC to take the mobile

Meanwhile, The mobile has to LU on the new MSC/VLR (If needed)
The MSC routes the voice call to the new MSC (If needed)

Finally,
MOC - The new BSC instruct the mobile to open a channel to the new BSC
HandComp - the old BSC receives a message that the new BSC has the mobile.

An SMS could be slipped in anywhere during all this activity, and get to the mobile sucessfully.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length