Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  GSM-Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  HOW TO HANDLE A MULTIPLE CONTINUE MESSAGES IN SMSC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HOW TO HANDLE A MULTIPLE CONTINUE MESSAGES IN SMSC  (Read 282 times)
pramod

« on: July 03, 2007, 07:23:50 UTC »

hi  all

when a concatednated message came as multiple continue messgaes (MO-FSM's) from MSC to SMSC how to handle whether we have to send multiple MT-FSM's as Continues messages or with a single TCAP message with multiple components

and how the billing will be done for these messages as single or multiple either in MSC or SMSC.

waiting for response
abhiksarkar

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 07:39:40 UTC »

If you have a series of MO-FSMs coming in a continuing dialog, it is because the components can't be placed into one SCCP UDT (because of length restrictions). Therefore, the SMSC will send these out in a continuing dialog too.

You can check out the discussion on "more messages to send" in the MAP specs (29.002) for some more description on how the SMSC and service MSC must act when there are many messages to be delivered to the same subscriber.

I can't tell you about billing on the MSC side, but on the SMSC, these would normally be billed as individual messages. Some SMSCs have the option of generating one CDR for one concatenated message (that is individual segments aren't billing seperately), but due to various reasons this option is not generally used.
pramod

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 09:27:53 UTC »

thanks abhiksarkar

can we send as a single message with multiple components if application handles
XUDT  messages
out application handles XUDT messages also .
abhiksarkar

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:06:11 UTC »

Hi Pramod,

Perhaps that is possible... but all systems I have seen in the field have SCCP segmentation enabled (that is, the SCCP user segments messages so they fit into UDT) instead of using of XUDT. There was recently a discussion on something similar on another board... see this thread:
http://smsforum.net/smf/index.php?topic=3328.0

Best regards,
Abhik.
pramod

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:13 UTC »

thanks a lot abhiksarkar

i have 2 more queries

1)who has to close the dialogue MSC or SMSC
i thought SMSC has to close the dialogue by seeing the param

Maximum Number of SM in the concatenated SM

in the SM-RP-User Info paramter in MO-FSM

2)
a)if some messages are stored in DB belongs to same dest  MS-ISDN
if Alert SC comes whether we hav 2 send in CONTINUE ing the dialogue
or we have to send in individual messages (not in case of concatenation)
what i thought was by setting the parameter moreMessagesToSend in ASN structure of MT-FSM we hav to send as CONTINUE ing the dialogue

b)in case of concatenation we are  setting   TP-more messages to send param
in  SM-RP-User Info
so what is the difference between those 2 more messages to send param's
whether i supposed things are correct or not .
please correct me if im wrong  in both the  cases.

abhiksarkar

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 13:56:08 UTC »

Hi Pramod,

Apologies for the delayed response... my understanding of this is as follows:

1) In either case, the MSC should end the dialog (under normal circumstances, that is no abort). If there is an user error, the MSC will send a TC-END with a returnError. If there is no error, the SMSC will send the last MT-FSM without moreMessagesToSend and the MSC will close the dialog with a TC-END containing a returnResultLast.

2) I think irrespective of whether the messages are concatenated or not, the SMSC must set moreMessagesToSend for in all MT-FSMs except the last one so that the MSC keeps the channel open with the phone to speed up delivery. As far as I can remember, this will be only for phase 2 and higher.

For more details, please refer to 3GPP TS 29.002 should cover all these situations.

Hope this helps
Abhik.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length