Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  Protocols
| |-+  MMAP-Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  SMAP spec and usage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMAP spec and usage  (Read 7108 times)
daniela

« on: July 10, 2002, 14:20:33 UTC »

Hello.
I have been reviewing the SMAP protocol thoroughly, and I have a few comments:

1) I was wondering how many vendors and application designers are looking into using / supporting the SMAP protocol.

2) In my opinion the current spec is very hard to follow. It lacks examples of complex messages, and there are too many hierarchy levels in the elements, which makes it hard to follow what goes where.

3) It would be nice to see some implementation guidelines.

4) I haven't found any references to the support of concatenated messages (The sar parameters in SMPP).

Waiting for responses....

stephen_gryphon

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 05:57:54 UTC »

1) I was wondering how many vendors and application designers are looking into using / supporting the SMAP protocol.

We use SMAP in our product. It is an ESME client that uses SMAP for internal message transmission over MSMQ. It also acts as an SMAP-SMPP gateway.

You can see more details at http://www.startcorp.com/ including a free trial download.

2) In my opinion the current spec is very hard to follow. It lacks examples of complex messages, and there are too many hierarchy levels in the elements, which makes it hard to follow what goes where.

Many times we found the level of hierarchy quite complex to navigate. The API library we build includes many short cuts for creating elements.

Hopefully the new MMAP drafts will be an improvement (I have not had time to review them yet).

3) It would be nice to see some implementation guidelines.

Agree.

4) I haven't found any references to the support of concatenated messages (The sar parameters in SMPP).

We have limited ourselves to single messages in our application (max 160/70 chars).

I have been able to successfully send concatenated messages using User Data Headers, e.g. for sending ringtones/logos.  It was quite messy however.

Note that SMAP/MMAP doesn't have a character limit like earlier versions of SMPP do (later versions of SMPP can now have much larger messages in, say, Message Payload -- but it would not be supported by all SMSCs/handsets).

- Sly

Givhucwem

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 11:05:04 UTC »

Good news
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length