Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  MEID support in SMSC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MEID support in SMSC  (Read 1140 times)
ghdinesh

« on: September 13, 2004, 08:52:04 UTC »

Hi developers,

Does anyone have idea of MEID impact on SMSC node. TIA is now developing standards for MEID(Mobile Equipment Identifier) support in ANSI-41 network to upgrade from present 32-bit ESN(Electronic Serila Number) to 56-bit MEID.  Please share your views on to what extent, does SMSC undergo s/w changes?

Thanks.
Dinesh
raguvamshi

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 07:39:30 UTC »

MEID to determine if a device is in disrepair, stolen or to gather statistics on fraud and has nothing to do with the SMSC.As at no point of time MEID is used by the SMSC for any particular information i don't think there could be any reason for changes in the SMSC architecture for the same. MEID support in SMSC, is still not very clear as to what kind of feature support are u talkin about. Huh
ghdinesh

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 13:04:57 UTC »

Hi raguvamshi,

Thanks for your reply. What i was talking about was MEID(56 bit) transition from present ESN(32) for handsets. At IS41-MAP level, these MEID/ESN parameters May be sent to VLR/MSC, SMSC nodes

Refer to section 6, 3GPP2 X.S0008.0 pdf doc Support for the Mobile Equipment Identifier. This section specifies the operation changes for SMDeliveryPointToPoint, SMSNotification and SMSRequest. Also refer to TIA Online homepage

Thanks,

SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 14:29:23 UTC »

agreed.. ESN is optionally returned by the HLR in the initial directory lookup response.. (SMSREQ_R) ..then if returned, the value is supposed to be included in the MT SMDPP_I (mobile terminated MSC delivery).

So if there was a migration from ESN to MEID.. it would have to surface in the HLR and MSC operations.. meaning the SMSC did have to engage the new field.

Its also likely (my guess) that MEID will get introduced as a separate field in the SMSREQ & SMDPP_I MAP operations, with logic stating that optionally one or the other is present/encoded.. i.e SMSC works with MEID if provided, otherwise uses ESN.. that way as MEIDs are detected on newer hardware etc, they are exposed, while older hardware works as is.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

ghdinesh

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 07:22:04 UTC »

Thanks to support.

In section 6, of 3GPP2 X.S0008.0 , table lists the SMS operations (SMDPP, SMSRequest and SMSNotification) which get impacted by MEID. Why it is said that "Include if available for OTA or OTAPA. For SMSRequest Response, it says that Not Applicable? Is that right TIA-928 document specify the changes required for MEID?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length