Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  SMSC to SMSC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMSC to SMSC?  (Read 1187 times)
quachtinh

« on: March 20, 2006, 12:30:28 UTC »

Hi all,

From IS-41, we can see that if network have many MSC and SMSC, we can defined each MSC is served by each SMSC. That mean SMSC work as MO and MT.
SM flow will be:
    MS sender  <-----> MSC (home/sender) <------->SMSC(home/sender) <----------> SMSC (home/ receiver) <----> MSC (home/receiver) <-------> MS receiver.

Infact, we no need to use SMSC to SMSC by sending directly to MSC home/receiver.

Pls help me to compare which is better and the reason Huh

Thanks for your support.
itsnomihere

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 09:07:01 UTC »

Thou I really understood the question well
But one great advantage of routing sms to SMSC is that it can work in Store and forward mode
Also it can takecare of sms coming over IP
Is that you asking for?
shad

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 17:06:47 UTC »

From IS-41, we can see that if network have many MSC and SMSC, we can defined each MSC is served by each SMSC. That mean SMSC work as MO and MT.
SM flow will be:
    MS sender  <-----> MSC (home/sender) <------->SMSC(home/sender) <----------> SMSC (home/ receiver) <----> MSC (home/receiver) <-------> MS receiver.

Infact, we no need to use SMSC to SMSC by sending directly to MSC home/receiver.

Pls help me to compare which is better and the reason Huh

Hi quachtinh
ANSI-41 requires that the SMSC (home/receiver) is involved for MT SMS. As "itsnomihere" mentions, the SMSC is responsible for storing the message until it can be delivered. The SMSC also holds the MDN -> HLR conversion information so it knows which HLR to look up.

ANSI-41 does define "direct" and "indirect" routing for mobile-to-mobile SMS: the difference is whether the originator's SMSC is involved. So in your example, you could do MSC (home/sender) <----------> SMSC (home/ receiver) , instead of via the SMSC (home/sender)

ANSI-41 also talks about "originating and terminating supplementary services" - it doesn't really define what these are, but they can be applied at the SMSC. So the direct routing scenario would not allow the possibility of originating supplementary services, since the originator's SMSC is bypassed. There are some other differences which (depending on the network requirements) may make indirect routing preferable to direct.
See ANSI41.3 sections 7.8 & 7.9 for direct and indirect callflows.

hope this helps

-shad

edit: OK, it's maybe a bit strong to say that the SMSC is required for MT-SMS. 41.3 7.22 has a scenario without the SMSC present. But I think it's rare, and doesn't allow for notification if the MS is not available when the message delivery is attempted.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 21:00:20 UTC by shad » Logged
quachtinh

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 11:17:26 UTC »

If I use indirect routing mean "SMSC(home/sender) <----------> SMSC (home/ receiver)", how can I control the SM can reach the MS ? because if SMSC(home/sender) send successfully to SMSC (home/ receiver), It receive "delivery success" from SMSC (home/ receiver) imediately wherether MS can received or not.

(Refer to IS41, I can not see any message from SMSC (home/ receiver) to confirm the SM had delivered to MS or not).

Thanks for your support. Smiley
shad

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 16:45:43 UTC »

The delivery receipt (and a couple of other receipt options) are in IS-637 instead of IS-41. I guess for an SMSC - SMSC relay leg, the SMSC (home/sender) does not maintain the "receipt requested" flag - this is the job of the SMSC (home/receiver).

IS-637 states "The message center shall send [the SMS Delivery Acknowledgment Message] to the originating mobile station when the final destination confirms receipt of the submitted message."

-s
quachtinh

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:18:07 UTC »

Dear Shad,

Thanks for your kindly help me.

Could u show me where I can find IS-637?

Or could help me to check my situation: SMSC(home/sender) <------> SMSC (home/ receiver).
Does SMSC(home/sender) receives  [the SMS Delivery Acknowledgment Message] in case   SMSC (home/ receiver) success / failure deliver to the final destination   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:34:53 UTC by quachtinh » Logged
shad

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 18:03:36 UTC »

Hi Quachtinh

IS-637-A is here. Later versions are listed on the 3GPP2 website as "temporarily unpublished", but IS-637-C is still available for downlod here. I don't think there will be much difference between the two in relation to this subject.

I think your question is interesting, and not particularly well covered by the standards, at least as far as I could see. IS-637 doesn't talk about SMSC to SMSC legs, and ANSI-41 doesn't talk about delivery acknowledgments!

The SMSC - SMSC leg is not really mobile-originated or mobile-terminated. ANSI 41(.3, 7.9) shows that the smdpp is sent from the destination SMSC as soon as the SMDPP is received, i.e. without waiting for the result of the actual delivery. So the originating SMSC isn't in a position to know whether the message reached the final destination. Internal configuration data in the originating SMSC might be necessary to indicate that this destination address is a mobile SME on another SMSC, not a fixed SME, and therefore that the SMSC should not maintain the delivery acknowledgment flag.

If the message is passed between SMSCs with no change to the SMS_BearerData, the Reply Option subparameter will still be present at the destination SMSC, and it should set the delivery acknowledgment flag for the message. When the terminating SMSC learns that the message has been successfully delivered to the mobile, the acknowledgment will presumably be sent back through the originator's SMSC, then passed on to the originator as a normal Mobile-Terminated SMS.

In practice, I don't know how common SMSC - SMSC legs are via ANSI-41. In many cases, something like SMPP can be used instead. I'm sure there are lots of people on this site who know about how the delivery acknowledgment request can be transferred from ANSI-41 to SMPP at the originating SMSC, and whether the destination SMSC can send the SMS Delivery Acknowledgment Message via SMPP.

Smiley
shad
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length