Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  Question about SMS Format
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about SMS Format  (Read 2445 times)
Leehg

« on: February 26, 2003, 09:18:30 UTC »

I am now studying the interworking between CDMA and GSM. Here I meet some problem. What's the different between the CMT (Cellular Message Teleservice), GHOST (GSM HOst SMS Teleservice) and WEMT (Wireless Enhanced Message Teleservice)? And what kind of teleservice is adopted in CDMA or GSM short message center?

Thanks in advance.
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 19:10:15 UTC »

CMT is basic text messaging for TDMA or CDMA.. user to user,  application to user or vice versa. The other teleservices VMN (voicemail), CPT (paging) are used for specific applications and while they can carry text, are primarily fitted with special bearer data fields to activate logos, carry message counters and other features on the handset.

GHOST.. is a "hack" in which GSM messages are simply sent over ANSI-41 bearers and is used to transition a customer base from CDMA or TDMA to GSM.. often the case for networks planning for EDGE or 3G.

WEMT.. (correct me someone if I'm wrong here) is the CDMA equivalant of WAP teleservice allowing URL posting and other WAP-related activities over the CDMA technology.

TDMA supports CMT and GUTS, CDMA supports CMT, VMN, CPT and WEMT.

GSM is not really teleservice oriented.. it efectively has only one teleservice.. basic data passing.. but into this emerged UDHI.. which was a fancy encoding used to carry message fragments ad other picture messaging formats.. notably Nokia smart messages and the ETSI-defined EMS.

We can argue EMS and Nokia SM as teleservices... but GSM as I mentioned does not like to dwell on the notion of Teleservices.

I believe in the 03/23.XX specs for GSM, there is talk of Teleservice but I think its different to the ANSI concept.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

Leehg

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 00:41:30 UTC »

The information you offer is very helpful. Thank you very much.

As you said, GHOST and WEMT are same in some sense. They treat the GSM SMS transfer PDU as a whole. So IIF can directly encapsulate the PDU in a GHOST/WEMT teleservice, while IIF need map the short message to CMT message. According to the teleservice, CDMA mobile station can interpret the short message correctly.

Is that right?
Uniformsystems

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 21:40:50 UTC »

just want clarify one thing that Long said,
WEMS is not teleservice for WAP, WEMS is teleservice to support EMS in CMDA network,
Teleservice WAP is the service that support WAP push over SMS in CDMA network.
I don't think that currently,there is anyone that implement this teleservice. Correct me if I am wrong

Regards

Roger

SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 10:36:18 UTC »

The reason I pitted WEMT as WAP related was because EMS carries UDH encodign with it and this is important for WAP pushes that need to span several message fragments.

If there is an independent CDMA WAP Teleservice, then what fragmentation mechanism does it use?

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

forest_luo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 16:44:26 UTC »

WAP-WDP has pointed out how to use fragement flags. It is really used like that, because I have study the WAP Push PDU from China Unicom.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length