Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  Protocols
| |-+  MMAP-Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  SMAP V1.0 Draft09 Released
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMAP V1.0 Draft09 Released  (Read 2110 times)
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« on: December 17, 2001, 11:54:34 UTC »

The SMS Forum is pleased to announce the release of
SMAP V1.0 Draft 09 for public review.

SMAP (Short Message Application Protocol) is an XML-based protocol designed to provide equivalent functionality to SMPP V3.4 but using an XML schema as opposed to binary PDU format of SMPP.

The protocol is still under design and the draft released is by no means frozen. In draft form, the specification is not yet ready for application development.

We would also like to confirm that this protocol is designed to meet market needs for XML-based applications. It is not intended to be a replacement for SMPP. Instead the protocol is an XML alternative and may prove more applicable in certain circumstances.

We take this opportunity to invite comments from application developers and protocol users. Please post comments to this topic. Our XML experts will be monitoring this board and will provide assistance where possible.

To download the draft. click on the Documents link and the on Protocol Specifications

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

Dusty Wilson

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2001, 14:53:31 UTC »

I think that SMAP would be a great help for developing applications that deal with a large amount of text-messaging to the phones, but how would this be implemented in current systems?  I'm not a great expert on this obviously, so how would one make their existing SMSCs, etc work using SMAP or would that be totally up to the SMSC vendors themselves?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 00:00:00 UTC by 1025067600 » Logged
jid

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2001, 11:25:28 UTC »

Minor editorial comment
Section 2.1.2.4 page 16
The section consists of the text "asas". I guess this means To Be Done (TBD)? I there a typographical convention used by the SMS Forum to cover comments within text. If not, I suggest "French quoation marks" which look <<like this>>.
JID

The SMS Forum is pleased to announce the release of
SMAP V1.0 Draft 09 for public review.

SMAP (Short Message Application Protocol) is an XML-based protocol designed to provide equivalent functionality to SMPP V3.4 but using an XML schema as opposed to binary PDU format of SMPP.

The protocol is still under design and the draft released is by no means frozen. In draft form, the specification is not yet ready for application development.

We would also like to confirm that this protocol is designed to meet market needs for XML-based applications. It is not intended to be a replacement for SMPP. Instead the protocol is an XML alternative and may prove more applicable in certain circumstances.

We take this opportunity to invite comments from application developers and protocol users. Please post comments to this topic. Our XML experts will be monitoring this board and will provide assistance where possible.

To download the draft. click on the Documents link and the on Protocol Specifications
Michael_Mulcahy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2001, 14:40:24 UTC »

Hi Dusty,

It may be possible to put a bridge in front of the SMSC which uses XSL to convert the SMAP XML to normal SMPP, a stop gap measure initially ;-)

Regards,
Mike.

I'm not a great expert on this obviously, so how would one make their existing SMSCs, etc work using SMAP or would that be totally up to the SMSC vendors themselves?

ANAM Wireless Internet Solutions
http://www.anam.com mailto:[email protected]
+353 1 284 7555
Castle Yard, Saint Patrick's Road, Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length