Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  Plain Text Message Concatenation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Plain Text Message Concatenation  (Read 821 times)
Findus

« on: May 25, 2006, 16:54:50 UTC »

Hi,

I've successfully implemented message concatenation through GSM carriers by encoding the UDH header to specify segment information. This was easy and is well documented out there in the GSM docs.

However, I'm now trying to do the same thing for the CDMA carriers we connect through. I understand that using the UDH method is GSM only and won't work on these carriers. What I can't find, however, is how to do it on CDMA anywhere on the net.

I've found information regarding nokia's SCKL format for binary messages, and this looks ideal for things like logos, ringtones, etc. But what if I want to just send a text message which is longer than, say, 160 chars (or whatever the limit is on a particular carrier)? Splitting the long message up into multiple "segments" on GSM is perfect but is it possible on CDMA?

Does anyone have any pointers they can give me or tell me what docs I need to look in. I've read through the IS-637 specs but can't find anything about concatenation at all...

Any help would be much appreciated,
FINdus.
shad

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 16:40:24 UTC »

Hi Findus

I too have looked in vain for concatenation in 637. In fact, the WAP (WDP) standard states "[TIAEIA-637] does not define segmentation and reassembly procedures, so they are defined in this document."

Similarly WEMT (EMS) in 637 references the GSM spec which defines its own method.

So for basic CMT/WMT, I guess the best approach might be to apply "user level concatenation" - split the message up at the application layer and just put "Part x of y:" at the start of the text...

hope this helps

-shad
Findus

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 18:30:41 UTC »

Hi shad,

Yes this "user level" approach is what we've done up to now. However, I'd like a better way to do it. Surely there must be a way to do this on CDMA. Maybe not, but you'd think it would be a pretty big ommision considering GSM supports this really useful feature.

I can try using the sar_ optional parameters but this really depends on each SMSC supporting it so I'd rather have a CDMA-wide solution like there is for GSM.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Thans,
FINdus.
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 23:50:45 UTC »

I recall hearing that UDH was to be added to IS-637.. that was over 3 years ago and I have no idea what came of that. I've not been involved in CDMA development since that time and have no other info on the topic.

if you have access to a CDMA handset, it would be worth trying to see if the phone can compose a long message and send it to another phone, preferably on the same network/technology.. just to see what happens... thats a good verifier if the phones are doing something be it standardised or otherwise.

Agreed.. the m/n option is leveraging on the mediocre side of things.. acceptable in the 90's but not any longer.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length