Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  Access network:ANSI CDMA/GSM TDMA; Core Network:GSM MAP/ANSI ??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Access network:ANSI CDMA/GSM TDMA; Core Network:GSM MAP/ANSI ??  (Read 456 times)
qazmlp

« on: January 29, 2007, 14:58:04 UTC »

Are both the following variants technically possible?
1)
Access network - ANSI CDMA
Core Network - GSM MAP SS7 stack

2)
Access network - GSM TDMA
Core Network - ANSI SS7 stack

SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:06:49 UTC »

TDMA ANSI-41 MAP + GSM as a custom teleservice.. otherwise known as GHOST (Gsm HOSted Teleservice).

Not sure if its still in use.. but certainly 5-6 years ago, there was some talk among TDMA carriers in the US of deploying this technology. I don't think the same concept was achieved for CDMA and this may have been because the 3G effort was to apply GSM MAP with w-CDMA radio.. effectively evolving both to the one technology

Other than that, I don't know anymore.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

shad

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 17:06:53 UTC »

"GSM1X" is defined (somewhere) as GSM MAP in the core, with the (ANSI) CDMA 1X air interface. I think it might have been intended for China, but it is not commercially deployed anywhere.

I don't think that there is any chance of ANSI-41 MAP with a GSM-based air interface.

So the answer is 1) - technically possible but doesn't exist today, 2) - no.

Note that there is no restriction on the core SS7 transport layers (as opposed to MAP): GSM MAP over ANSI MTP/SCCP is presumably used for Nth American GSM operators (I don't know which TCAP is used), and ANSI-41 and ANSI TCAP over ITU MTP/SCCP is common for (ANSI) CDMA operators outside North America.

In the 3G world, "DS-41" and "MC-MAP" have been defined as the "crossover" core vs access combinations, but I don't think these progressed beyond paper.

Smiley
Shad
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length