Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  SMS sent notification..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMS sent notification..  (Read 1240 times)
raheel_advcomm

« on: April 06, 2006, 11:52:03 UTC »

Hi all

We have developed SMSC for CDMA based network,now we want to introduce SMS sent notification into it,a type of delivery report which sending MS receives when SMS is actually delivered to its destination.
Can anyone tell us how can we exactly do this?What is the standard way to do it and how to exactly implement this.
A help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
Thanking in advance.

Regards

Raheel

shad

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 18:35:14 UTC »

Hi Raheel

Looking at the SMSC from the outside, I guess it's something like this:
1. SMSC receives incoming SMDPP for mobile-originated SMS, which requests a delivery acknowledgment (SMDPP -> SMS_BearerData -> Reply Option -> DAK_REQ = 1)
2. SMSC sets flag, proceeds with message delivery as normal.
3. When message is delivered successfully (i.e. empty smdpp received), flag triggers delivery acknowledgment
4. SMSC initiates acknowledgment message to original message sender, with the following subparameters:
 - MESSAGE_TYPE = '0100' Delivery Acknowledgment
 - User Data: perhaps some useful text like "Message delivery to [original destination address] OK"
 - Perhaps the Message Status subparameter if the mobiles understand it.
 - Anything other parameters allowed in the standard e.g. Message Center Time Stamp

hope this helps

shad
itsnomihere

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 13:04:00 UTC »

1- This really helped alot but still
2- Will MSC generate CDR for such kind of message?
3- Will this message be stored like other messages in phone memory?
4- If set has send more than one sms some are passed some are failed what can be done in that case?

Thankyou
shad

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 17:18:20 UTC »

1- A pleasure  Smiley
2- Most CDMA MSCs don't generate CDR for any SMS! It will depend on the manufacturer. Charging for a delivery receipt seems a bit mean so hopefully if there is a CDR it will be identifiable as a receipt.
3- I can only talk for the phones I have seen - some just use it to provide an indication in the outbox that your message was successful. Others display the usual envelope icon, you can open the "successfully delivered" message, but then when you close it the message disappears and you are left with just the outbox icon.
4- As far as I know, the delivery receipt is per message, not per user. So the SMSC should set the flag against  the TCAP TransactionID. So each message can receive its own receipt if it is successful.

-Shad
itsnomihere

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 13:13:50 UTC »

Huh TCAP TransactionID???
The IS-41 layer never pass this ID to the main SMSC application.
The only id that we receive is diallog id
O do you mean that incoming diallog id is same as TCAP transaction ID

shad

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 16:59:43 UTC »

OK, now you are exposing my weak points  Undecided

My experience is with the external ANSI-41/IS-637 interfaces of an SMSC, rather than what it does internally. But logically, often the only thing that distinguishes one successful smdpp (i.e. SMSDeliveryPointToPoint Return Result) from another is the TransactionID. We are talking here about the more difficult case where there are multiple smdpps for the same subscriber. But even in the case where they relate to different subscribers, the only way to work out which Invoke the Return Result belongs to is the Transaction ID right? So if there is any action required by the application on receipt of smdpp (like triggering a retry schedule for message failure, or sending a receipt), there must be some link between the TransactionID and what is received at the application

-s
raheel_advcomm

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 17:25:10 UTC »

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you all especially shad for helping in implementing delivery notifications.We have successfully implemented delivery notification and patched to our SMSC  Cool,but now there is a new problem.Delivery notifications sent are being stored in the phone memory like a normal message.Can anyone help how to tell mobile station not to store delivery notifications? Huh

Thanks.
&
Regards

Raheel
shad

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 17:59:56 UTC »

Hi Raheel

Are you setting the MESSAGE_TYPE field in the Message Identifier subparameter to "Delivery Acknowledgment"? Do you know that the handsets correctly handle delivery receipts from other SMSCs?

regds
shad
raheel_advcomm

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 17:49:17 UTC »

Hi shad,
thnx for ur kind reply..

Are you setting the MESSAGE_TYPE field in the Message Identifier subparameter to "Delivery Acknowledgment"?

Yes we are setting Message_type field to delivery ack which is 0100.

Do you know that the handsets correctly handle delivery receipts from other SMSCs

Currently our operator's subscribers are only connected with our SMSC,so we have not checked that whether the handset correctly handles delivery receipts from other SMSCs or not,but it is not handling correctly in our case,message is coming like a normal sms and is stored into the phone memory which we dont want.
 Huh Huh

Regards

Raheel
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length