Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  Why I can't receive SMSNotification from HLR?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why I can't receive SMSNotification from HLR?  (Read 725 times)
GenghisKhan

« on: December 08, 2006, 07:50:03 UTC »

Hi all,
I have a problem when my SMSC send SMSRequest to HLR to request location of a mobile. This mobile is being inactive and HLR reply me a SMSRequestResult with MSC address which managing that mobile. Eventhough I actived Notification flag, (it's mean when that mobile become active and can receive SMS message, HLR will send back to my SMSC a SMSNotification message) but when that mobile turn on, no message is transmitted to me.
How can I fix this problem? Help me, please!

Thanks & best regards,
GenghisKhan
shad

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 16:57:02 UTC »

Hi Genghis

If the HLR returns a valid SMS_Address, then it doesn't know that the mobile is inactive. It becomes the responsibility of the serving MSC (not the HLR) to send the SMSNotification. Check the smdpp for the SMS_CauseCode = "postponed", which means the MSC will send a notification later.

See ANSI-41 Ch3 Sections 7.11 & 7.20

Smiley
Shad
GenghisKhan

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:27:17 UTC »

Thanks Shad,

I've checked & found that HLR response to me a valid MSC address. This MSC is really managing that mobile.
I think HLR has mobile's information and when it receive my SMSRequest, it immediately reply me a MSC address in SMSRequestResult. After that, HLR look at NotificationFlag which is set by 1, so HLR will register Notification Message for me. Then, when mobile becomes active, HLR will alert to my SMSC with SMSNotification, isn't it???

If flow of process is unlike above, I think HLR will have a method to say with MSC must have paging that mobile & alert to my SMSC when that mobile is active, isn't it? If it has a method like that, do you know about it?

Please help me,
Thank you very much!
shad

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 17:14:08 UTC »

If the HLR responds to the SMSREQ with a SMS_Address, then it's not going to send SMSNOT later. It thinks the mobile is active at the MSC address returned. The HLR's involvement in the scenario is over.

The SMSC/MC sends the SMDPP to the MSC using the address received in the smsreq. If SMSNOTIND is not present in the SMDPP, or is present and set to 1, then the MC is requesting notification from the MSC. The HLR doesn't request notification from the MSC. If the MSC can't deliver the message, it should respond with the cause code = "postponed", which implies that it will send SMSNOT later when the mobile becomes available.

SMSNOT can be sent from either the HLR or the MSC to the MC. In the scenario you have described, it should come from the MSC. The easiest way to simulate this is to power on the mobile, then pull the battery off, then try to send an SMS to it.

In the other case where the HLR would send the SMSNOT, it would send SMSACCDEN = postponed in the smsreq, and not SMS_Address

Smiley
Shad
GenghisKhan

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:37:08 UTC »

Thanks Shad very much!
Follow up your advice, I turn off my mobile, send SMS to it then power on. Parallel with this action, we checked status of mobile on MSC, we realized that space from the time mobile status became active to the time it received my SMS is variable (we test with 5 times turn off & send sms Smiley )
I've discussed with my partner and I thinks sms is sent to my mobile based on retry mechanism of network. I thinks it don't have alert mechanism with SMSNotification.
Now, we still try to find another best solution to send SMDPP to mobile immediately when it become active. If I found that, I'll share it with you Smiley

Glad to discuss with you!
See ya
shad

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 16:36:24 UTC »

Good point about the retry mechanism - if you want to find out how notification is working you really need to turn this off at the MC while testing so you can be sure that a subsequent delivery is triggered by SMSNOT and not just a timer.

If you can get an ANSI-41 trace of the SMSDeliveryPointToPoint Invoke and Return Result between the MC and MSC it should show you whether an SMSNOT will be sent (i.e. presence of cause code = "postponed"). Of course if you can capture the SMSNOT itself on this interface then you know for sure.

Note also that depending on your MSC/VLR configuration turning off your phone can be different to pulling out the battery - a battery pull is a better bet for the scenario I think you are trying to test.

Smiley
Shad
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length