Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  CDMA WAP Support over SMPP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CDMA WAP Support over SMPP  (Read 2786 times)
Purnima

« on: October 22, 2003, 14:17:40 UTC »

So if GSM and CDMA technologies are so different.. does SMPP protocol also change for the two ??

i ask this because when sending a normal text SMS, the SMPP Submit-SM packet for GSM and CDMA is same.

But when it comes to binary messages, i think its different !!

I am trying to send a MMS Notification (WAP Push) to a CDMA network.

From WAP WDP docs, i understand that the is-637 should be used. I am able to create the MMS notification packet for is-637.

But i do not understand how to fit this is-637 packet into SMPP Submit-SM and send it to the SMSC??  Is there any kind of adaptation required in SMPP for this??

Looking forward for uyour answers..

Regards.
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 16:07:56 UTC »

So if GSM and CDMA technologies are so different.. does SMPP protocol also change for the two ??

i ask this because when sending a normal text SMS, the SMPP Submit-SM packet for GSM and CDMA is same.

For basic text messages SMPP does indeed allow a large amount of reuse.. allowing you the ESME send more or less the same PDU, leaving the SMSC sort out the nitty gritties of GSM/CDMA.

Thats a crucial feature for some multi-technology environments that support number portability across networks and technolgies.. sometimes leaving the ESME unsure of the hardware the mobile subscriber actually has!

But i do not understand how to fit this is-637 packet into SMPP Submit-SM and send it to the SMSC??  Is there any kind of adaptation required in SMPP for this??

Well the raw encoded IS-637 WAP push data needs to be placed octet for octet in the CDMA User Data.. which to SMPP is the short_message field or message_payload TLV.

The service_type should be set to "WAP"

The service_type of "WAP" is designed to tell the SMSC to set the message CDMA teleservice to WAP and this is probably what blocks most people from getting it to work.

I would assume that the SMSC will need provisioning to have it set the teleservice from the "WAP" service_type. Many SMSCs support the notion of associating text service_types with teleservice id.

I've never seen or heard of anyone who got this to work. So I wish you luck here.. and advise that you talk to the carrier about the service_type settings.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 16:09:12 UTC by [email protected] » Logged

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

Purnima

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 06:45:00 UTC »

Thank you for the information.

I need some clarification on the following:

the raw encoded IS-637 WAP push data needs to be placed octet for octet in the CDMA User Data.. which to SMPP is the short_message field or message_payload TLV'

Does the 'Raw encoded IS-637 Wap Push data' include only the actual WAP push content, i mean the actual SI or SL data only? Or does it contain all the TLVs of the is-637 packet i.e. "SMS_MSG_TYPE+Destination Adress+Bearer data ".

The confusion is because the is-637 packet "Destination address"  shall contain the MDN number of the CDMA mobile to which i am trying to send the notification, then what shall go into "Dest_addr_npi, dest_addr_ton, destination_addr'' fields of the SMPP Submit-SM?? Doesn't this look redundant? Please correct me if i am wrong.

The service_type should be set to "WAP"

Similarly, the "Teleservce Identifier" parameter of the SMS Point-to-Ponit (is-637) shall contain the teleservice id for WAP which is 4100 (decimal) as read somewhere on the net. But the "Service_type" should again contain "WAP".

Also there is another parameter called "Payload_type" in SMPP Submit-SM. Should this be set to 0 (indicating WDP) for sending MMS nitification over CDMA? I want to use the short_message parameter in the SMPP Submit-SM, is this parameter only relevant when using "message_payload TLV"

Regards,
Purnima
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 12:41:41 UTC »

Does the 'Raw encoded IS-637 Wap Push data' include only the actual WAP push content, i mean the actual SI or SL data only? Or does it contain all the TLVs of the is-637 packet i.e. "SMS_MSG_TYPE+Destination Adress+Bearer data ".

The confusion is because the is-637 packet "Destination address"  shall contain the MDN number of the CDMA mobile to which i am trying to send the notification, then what shall go into "Dest_addr_npi, dest_addr_ton, destination_addr'' fields of the SMPP Submit-SM?? Doesn't this look redundant? Please correct me if i am wrong.

SMS_MSG_TYPE+Destination Adress+Bearer data will be built by the SMSC.. you only concentrate on what the WAP part involves.. building user data only.

For addressing.. just concern yourself with the digits of the number in question and put them in ASCII format into the dest_addr field and then set the TON=1 for international or 2 for national numbering. Set NPI=1 (E.164). If you look into the MDN encoding, you will find that it actually does contain a nature of number (same as TON) and numbering plan indicator.. so TON and NPI are actually not redundant. See SMPP V5.0 on TON/NPI use with international numbers if you need more clarity on how to handle the digits.

Similarly, the "Teleservce Identifier" parameter of the SMS Point-to-Ponit (is-637) shall contain the teleservice id for WAP which is 4100 (decimal) as read somewhere on the net. But the "Service_type" should again contain "WAP".

The only way of setting WAP teleservice through SMPP is by using service_type="WAP". You don't have direct access to the teleservice field in the ANSI-41 MAP message.

Payload_type should not be needed... the default assumed is that you are passing a WDP message.. so it would only be required if a WCMP message was being passed.

I realise that you are probably going through hell and back with this.. because the WAP spec you are reading is talking in pure ANSI-41 MAP and IS-637 CDMA teleservice.. whereas SMPP is already abstracting the entire ANSI-41 MAP layer (addressing, teleservice indicator, ESN, OA, OOA, DA.. etc). SMPP puts the message text in as the IS-637 user data (which is one part of the bearer data). The other bearer data fields are based on other SMPP TLVs or SMSC settings.

But don't give up!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 12:42:46 UTC by [email protected] » Logged

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   SMS Forum

Purnima

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 07:51:11 UTC »

While sending WAP PUsh over GSM SMS, the Source Port and Destination port numbers are specified as a part of UDH (User Data Header).

Where do i fit this information in IS-637 SMS Packet for CDMA packet?  Or is there any other means in IS-637 ?

Regards,
Purnima
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 19:30:23 UTC »

I believe the CDMA WAP spec has definitions for how to encode ports for WAP..  check that for more detail

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   SMS Forum

Eadala Dhananjaya Reddy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 13:35:35 UTC »

Purnima,

Where do i fit this information in IS-637 SMS Packet for CDMA packet?  Or is there any other means in IS-637 ?

If you look at WDP specification (section WDP profile over CDMA SMS), it clearly tells the way to pack the port information. Also, it talks about how to pack Segmentation and Reassembly information. (You might need this as MMS notification usually results in big and you have to do segmentation)

Dhananjaya
apitoman

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 13:49:16 UTC »

hi there,

Iam a newbie in this forum and I am still confused about the message format for wap push message over CDMA network.
I want to ask some questions to you guys..

In SMPP submit sm PDU, what do I must to fiil in datacoding and  esm_class parameter for delivering wap push message?
For GSM network I Used (in Hex) 40 for esm_class and F5 for datacoding. These type is working on GSM, but when I want to use it for CDMA, it isnt working.

Then I want to ask about Is-637 packet  format. Can somebody give PDU example regarding to it.

Hope you guys can help me on this.

Lots of thanks

forest_luo

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 15:59:38 UTC »

I have really received the "PDU" of a WAP PUSH over CDMA. And I have successfully decoded it. It is really the same with WAP-WDP specification, but some parameter are ommited....
I am trying Point-to-Point WAP Push over CDMA. It is almost near the success.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length