Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  IM over SMS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IM over SMS  (Read 1892 times)
jiongkuan

« on: February 19, 2004, 16:26:12 UTC »

I am reading some stuff on IM (instant messaging) services, seems going to replace the SMS in the future. Got some questions, hope somebody here can help me:

for lower end mobile terminals, sms and wap can be used to offer mobile IM service, right?

In this case, how the presence service is realized?

also, does CDMA 2000 has the "always on" characteristics like GPRS? I think this is important for presence services.

Thanks a lot!!
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 10:15:56 UTC »

IM is nowhere near replacing SMS.. some people think SMS has been dying for the last 5 years!.. fact is it is growing.

SMS terminals have been used in conjunction with IM gatewyas that map IM sessions to SMS terminals that send and receieve SMS messages to carry the IM messages.. this has been done using standard SMS on normal and unmodified phones and also achieved using richer applets running on more advanced phones (such as the Java MIDP-based phones).. the latter provides a more IM feel to the experience because the underlying SMS activity is hidden. It is also possible to implement IM over a SIM Toolkit extension that would work on many models as extensions to the phones own menus.

IM can also be achieved using a GRPS or equivalent data session (i.e not using SMS at all) so that a dedicated applet on the phone can operate an IM client over IP and do the same as it would on a desktop computer etc.

For SMS-only, I don't know the specifics of how presence would be managed.. you can imagine that a logon message of some kind could be sent.. but how do we know that he has logged off?.. all I can think of is that exiting an applet would send a logoff message... achieving this over a non-customised phone would be messy, requiring the user to send

The problem relates to implementing a session-based IM protocol over a sessionless medium such as SMS.

Just note that there is no one way of doing this.. Wireless Villiage seemed to be the one-stop shop for work in this area but other than that, thats about as much as I know.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

jiongkuan

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 14:59:01 UTC »

Thank you for the information
jiongkuan

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 15:41:31 UTC »

by the way, Cormac, do you know where I can download the SIMPLE ( SIP for IM and presence leveraging extensions) protocol.
Thanks!
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 16:03:49 UTC »

afraid not.. try a search on google or look in the wireless villiage site.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   SMS Forum

lightray

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 07:34:59 UTC »

whats wireless village?
Can u give the website address?

thanks.
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 20:02:15 UTC »

Now part of OMA.. documents explain the entire initiative..
http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/affiliates/wv/wvindex.html

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   SMS Forum

forest_luo

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 15:47:09 UTC »

It is very hard for "Online Every Time" now. It needs wide bind and resources. For now, many advanced technology need SMS for addressing the subscriber. I don't think SMS would dispear. It will change and envolve but not dispear.

For IM it should get more like SMS or MMS. I think IM system would like a GSM/CDMA system, but it is over the Internet. The network architecture would be alike.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length