Disclaimer: These archives are mirrored from smsforum.net in 2007 before the forum got closed. Please only part of the forum is available here.
For any clarifications regarding these archives you can contact us at http://www.telecomspace.com/contact.

TELECOMSPACE HOME PAGE         TELECOM DISCUSSION FORUM          CONTACT

+  SMS Forum Online Discussion
|-+  SMS Technologies
| |-+  ANSI-41 (CDMA & TDMA) Related (Moderator: SMS Forum Support)
| | |-+  SMS Roaming Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMS Roaming Question  (Read 1677 times)
denis

« on: April 08, 2005, 10:43:01 UTC »

Hi
There is a TDMA/CDMA carrier that wants to do two way international sms messaging for their subscriber base. Does this mean that they need to have a roaming agreement with carriers in each country for 2 way messaging? Is there another way round this? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Hamma

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 11:19:08 UTC »

Hi,
we speak about roaming only when the mobile network subscriber leave his home PLMN to onother one (said visited PLMN). In this case if there is no roaming agreement between the two operators (home and visited) and the subcriber is not registred in the service, he can't neither receive nor initiat calls.
With sms,  there are some differnces.
To send pc originated messages, the sms provider must be connected, of course, to an operator smsc, witch enable sending messages outside itts PLMN.
Now, to send message from mobile subscriber to the provider, we need only, that the sender's operator enable sending msgs out of its network range.
So, we have any kind of roaming agreement between telecom operators.
denis

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 11:27:30 UTC »

Hi Hamma

Thanks for the reply..if i am an operator with subscribers and i want two way international sms (so users can send and receive-two way messaging) do i need multiple binds to all the operators globally or is there another way? As i understand it if i go through a gateway this is really only 1 way messaging because of the reply path. Does this make sense?
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 11:35:53 UTC »

Roaming is not itself a requirement for inter-carrier messaging.. roaming is specifically for the allowing of subs from one network to use another carriers network when they are travelling. Important not to confuse the two. This is very common activity with GSM which is designed for roaming. With CDMA/TDMA  however, it is literally impossible to make roaming work in the first place because of the legacy of 10-digit MINs unlike GSM which uses fully country/carrier encoded IMSIs.

so.. to make this 2-way SMS happen, the carrier needs to use inter-carriers to connect upto some kind of 2-way exchange system that routes between other national and international networks. The Americas have loads of inter-carrier providers doing this very thing today.

Another self-deployed solution is to deploy a gateway that handles the incoming GSM MT deliveries which are then translated and converted into MO messages to his CDMA/TDMA SMSCs. Something similar on the CDMA/TDMA -> GSM direction. This option is preferred usually when the carrier already has a GSM network and in particular when he plans to migrate the entire base to GSM.. it provides an effective migration to first assign an IMSI to the CDMA/TDMA users and give them full 2-way GSM presence but by using their ANSI phone.. then as they upgrade to an actual GSM phone.. they get taken off the translation platform and can now roam.

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

Hamma

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 12:04:22 UTC »

Hi denis,
i didn't understand your question?
please can you give me more details?
denis

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 16:34:23 UTC »

Hi Hamma / Cormac
Thanks for your replies. I am looking for 2 way SMS so i believe I need to use inter-carriers to connect upto some kind of 2-way exchange system that routes between other national and international networks. Do you have any reliable companies that you can recommend-I have seen 365, Atlasmobile,ruototelecom etc.. Any recommendations greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Hamma

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 16:43:56 UTC »

Hi denis,
i have not what you search for the moment;
but i rember that i saw st like this,
if i have it, i will tell you
SMS Forum Support
SMS Forum Support
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 21:12:00 UTC »

there are several.. I can't recommend any one service directly.. but do google and compare prices

Regards,
   Cormac Long
   Webmaster & Technical Enquiry Moderator,
   SMS Forum

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length